Did you know that waist beads are a global phenomenon? In fact, according to the World Waist Bead Organization (WHOBO), waist beads have been an important cultural and spiritual tradition since prehistoric times! Today, they’re common fashion accessories in various countries around the world. Starting your own waist bead business could be an interesting career move if you’re looking to learn more about the products made by hand and sold to happy customers around the globe. Here’s how to start a waist bead business of your own.
What are waist beads?
Waist beads are made of simple materials you may already have at home. They consist of string, beads, and elastic bands.
A string can be any type of long thread or yarn, but cotton is recommended because it’s stretchy. Elastic bands are used to hold the beads in place on your waist.
Finally, you can use any type of beads for this project as long as they are either small enough to fit through the elastic band or large enough to not get lost inside the elastic band.
You could also add sequins and other decorative items to the waist bead such as flowers, hearts, or stars.
Why start a waist bead business?
Waist beads are an inexpensive accessory that can be worn in many different ways to add style to any outfit. They’re also easy to find, making them perfect for anyone looking to start their own business.
There are many benefits of starting your own waist bead business: they’re inexpensive, versatile, and they provide great opportunities for creative self-expression. If you want to make money with your waist bead business, here are some tips for success:
- Sell products wholesale through eBay or wholesale stores like H&M or Target.
- Create a Facebook page to interact with customers, post photos of new designs, and answer questions about how to wear the product. Use free tools such as Instagram’s #hashtag feature (jewelry) or Google’s Communities (join the Fashion & Beauty group).
- You can also sell on Etsy if you have fewer than five items at one time and don’t require custom work from other sellers.
What do you need to get started?
You will need a large number of supplies to get started, including beads, string, and wire. You’ll also need some basic tools: pliers, needle-nose pliers, scissors, clippers, and wire cutters. A good way to get started is to purchase a starter kit that includes some of the essentials. Once you have your materials in hand, you can choose from any number of designs that are available or create your style.
If you are just starting, it’s a good idea to sell your waist beads at craft shows and fairs. You can make money by charging admission to these events, as well as by selling your wares on-site. As your business grows, you can open an online store or kiosk at malls and other locations. It is also important to build up your social media presence and gather testimonials from happy customers to bring more business through referrals.
While the waist bead business requires very little startup capital, there is still some financial investment that must be made to get your business off of the ground.
Depending on how large your online inventory is and how quickly you can sell your wares, it can take anywhere from two to three years for profits to build up enough to allow you to quit working at another job. That being said, if you are committed and willing to work hard, your business may generate enough income sooner than expected.
Overall, waist bead businesses are an excellent way for crafters to make money on a full or part-time basis. As long as you are willing to put in some time and effort, there is no reason why you can’t build up a profitable business. If you’re committed to success and have the work ethic needed to succeed, you might just find that running your own waist bead business is exactly what you need.
ALSO SEE: Does Kohl’s Sell Nose Rings?
How to market your business
Marketing your product should be the first thing you do before you even start producing it. You want to find out who your target market is, what they want, and how they’ll know about your product. You also need to have a marketing plan that includes what you will do to get the word out.
Each business has different needs when it comes to marketing, so there’s no one-size-fits-all approach. Figure out what will work best for your business by identifying whom you are trying to reach and figuring out where they spend their time online (Facebook? Pinterest? YouTube?).
It’s important to keep in mind that not all customers are online, so make sure to incorporate offline forms of advertising as well.
The first step is to make sure that you know who your target market is. This can be specific (for example, women ages 24–35) or broad.
But it’s important that you identify who it is you are trying to reach with your product because they will dictate everything else in your marketing plan.
Tips for Success
- Don’t be afraid to start small. Even if you have big plans, it is always best to start with the basics and build upon success.
- Stay organized. It can be easy to lose track of inventory and orders when starting up but having an organized system in place will make your life so much easier.
- Keep your costs low.
- Take time to understand who your target audience is and what they want.
- Offer quality products at reasonable prices.
- Be flexible with customer service. The more customers feel taken care of, the more likely they are to return and buy again.
- Stay up to date with market trends. This will help you understand what products your customers want and whether or not they are willing to pay higher prices for them. You’ll also know what to change or improve on if there are complaints about something that should be better. Knowing these things ahead of time will save you loads of trouble down the road and let you grow into your own business quickly.